Citrus Spice Syrup
- peel from 1 lemon (removed in strips with a vegetable peeler)
Ginger Spice Syrup
- 3 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- fruit (like diced pineapple, mango, watermelon, kiwi, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit; raspberries, blueberries, and diced strawberries)
- herbs (like mint and basil)
- vodka, gin, rum, and tequila
Bring each set of syrup ingredients to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let steep 1 hour. Strain syrup into small pitcher; discard solids in strainer. Cover and refrigerate syrup until cold, about 3 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.
The Set Up
In bowls, put out diced pineapple, mango, watermelon, kiwi, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit; raspberries, blueberries, and diced strawberries; mint and basil. Arrange spiced syrups (Citrus Spice Syrup, Ginger Spice Syrup), sparkling water, crushed ice, measuring spoons, muddlers, vodka, gin, rum, and tequila on the table.
Place 2 tablespoons diced fruit, 1 tablespoon citrus fruit, and some herb leaves in a glass.
Crust with a spoon or muddler.
Add 2 tablespoons syrup, or to taste.
Fill glass with crushed ice.
Top with sparkling water or club soda.
The Best Combos
Pineapple, lemon, mint, citrus syrup, vodka
Mango, lime, ginger syrup, gin
Kiwi, grapefruit, tequila