- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Easy chicken
- Quick chicken
A simple curry, which is packed full of flavour. Enoy with peas and rice, if desired.
161 people made this
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (1.35kg) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons Jamaican curry powder
- hot pepper sauce to taste
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:35min ›Ready in:1hr
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, onions and garlic until the chicken has browned; about 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, salt and curry powder; add enough water to cover the chicken halfway. Cover and simmer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce.
If your local supermarket doesn't stock Jamaican curry powder, you will find it in speciality shops or online.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(123)
Reviews in English (96)
by Lisa H
Good flavour, was a nice meal with rice and peas. I would suggest adding water as it cooked. I tried this and it kept the chicken tender and prevented the dish from being to dry.-12 Sep 2006
ai'm editing my original review.i now use only 2 teaspoons of salt, add a couple of springs of fresh thyme,and sometimes up the curry powder (if I don't have the hot Jamaican curry powder). A great recipe...my West Indian in-laws love it.-11 Nov 2006
This recipe was really good. Easy to make and very flavorful. I didn't have the special kind of curry listed, so I used regular and just cut back the amount to about 2 Tbsp. I added Paprika, black pepper, and a pinch of Cardamom. When I added the water I also added a 1//4 C of white wine.Family loved it!-11 Jan 2007