- Dish type
- Mini cakes
These cupcakes are simple to make, light and not too sweet. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
25 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 24 cakes
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 340g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g natural yoghurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 55g flaked almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl; set aside. Grease the holes of a cupcake/muffin tin. You will need 24 holes.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a large heatproof bowl and set on top of a pan of simmering water. Beat constantly with a whisk or electric mixer until thick and pale, about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and continue to beat until cooled, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the butter, yoghurt, cardamom and rose water. Stir in the flour mixture by hand and fold in the flaked almonds. Spoon into the prepared tins, filling 3/4 full. Sprinkle some chopped pistachios over the tops.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm to the touch and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(38)
Reviews in English (26)
Very tasty and light cupcakes.I found that the first batch of cakes did not rise very well and on the second batch I increased the baking powder quantity to two teaspoons which came out perfectly.-17 Jul 2013
These are great! I would have given them a 4.5 if possible. They are very rich and would probably be better in smaller portions. Making them in Madeleine pans would be fabulous. Or you could just reduce the butter. Here's what I did: I HALVED the recipe, didn't heat the eggs and sugar in a double boiler (too lazy), used 1/2t cardamon, didn't add pistachios (didn't have any), and added 2T more sugar. I think the recipe probably doesn't need more sugar, but in the future I would reduce the butter and make the cakes in Madeleine tins.-15 Mar 2008
I made a no nuts version and substituted vanilla flavored yogurt for the plain. They came out great. I will make them again. They were not hard to make either.-25 Jan 2009