- Dish type
- Main course
- Stew and casserole
This delicious vegetarian stew is hearty in texture but rather delicate in flavour. Fresh or frozen garden peas may be used.
31 people made this
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas
- 2.25L (4 pints) vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1kg (2 lb) tomatoes, chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1kg (2 lb) fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g (5 oz) frozen garden peas
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:1hr5min ›Ready in:1hr30min
- In a large stockpot, stir together the chickpeas and vegetable stock. Mix in half of the minced garlic and cayenne (or dried crushed chillies). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the remaining garlic, tomatoes and basil in the frying pan and cook 2 minutes, or just until the basil is wilted. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Mix the fennel and onions into the pot with the chickpeas. Season with salt. Continue cooking 15 minutes. Mix in the tomato mixture and peas, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until peas are tender. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(25)
Reviews in English (23)
Nice ingredients, cooked strangely and with far too much liquid and not enough protein-06 Apr 2015
An irish person really liked this. It was great!-21 Apr 2013