- Dish type
- Vegetable soup
- Tomato soup
This is a delicious cold summer soup, perfect for a light meal on a hot summer night. Enjoy its distinctive flavour - somewhere between guacamole and gazpacho.
25 people made this
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled and quartered
- 2 large avocados - peeled, stone removed and sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1L (1 3/4 pints) tomato juice
- 275g (10 oz) low fat natural yoghurt
- salt to taste
- small handful chopped fresh chives
- cayenne pepper to taste
MethodPrep:20min ›Ready in:20min
- Place tomato, avocados, onion, green pepper and lemon juice into the bowl of a food processor, and process until smooth. Pour in 1/4 of the tomato juice, and process to blend.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, and mix in remaining tomato juice and 3/4 of the yoghurt. Season to taste with salt. Chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Serve in bowls garnished with dollops of yoghurt, chives and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(24)
Reviews in English (21)
by Kym Cox Surridge
This was good, but I tweaked it quite a bit. I didn't use tomato juice or yogurt; instead, I blended two very large beefsteak tomatoes (for a total of 3). I omitted the onion, and I added raw corn cut from the cob for some texture and a little sweetness. I also chopped a third avocado and stirred it in. I blended in about 1/3 cup of cilantro, added 1 tsp of sea salt, and added a sprinkle of cumin to each bowl. I may add garlic next time. A note about the flavor: With 32 oz of tomato juice, this is not going to taste like avocado. The avocado is used only to add a creamy texture. This soup has a nice flavor, but if you're looking for an avocado-flavored soup, this isn't it.-11 Feb 2008
by Al S
An excellent cold soup. I doubled the recipe, used very large avocados, added 1/2 cup more tomato juice, and served 11 people nicely.-07 Jul 2006
This was good and very refreshing. The soup is definitely more tomato than avocado. Would be delicious with real sour cream (of course). I also wonder if it would be better with lime juice instead of lemon juice.-09 Aug 2006