- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Banana cake
A healthy little banana cake snack with a hint of cocoa. One square is less than 75 calories! Perfect if, like me, you prefer to cook in small batches and like to keep your sugar and fat intake to a minimum.
London, England, UK
134 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 12 mini squares
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 60g self-raising flour
- 60g buckwheat flour (or any other type of flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:35min
- Mash bananas and mix together with wet ingredients (egg, yoghurt, vanilla and honey). In a seperate bowl sift flours and add salt, bicarb and cinnamon.
- Fold dry and wet ingredients together till just combined (don't overmix).
- Spoon 2/3 of the batter into a greased 9x9 inch (23x23cm) baking tin.
- Mix remaining batter with cocoa powder and spoon on top of the plain batter. Then swirl them together until marbled using a knife or spatula.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C / Gas 4 for about 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into 12 pieces.
If you have a sweet tooth, then you can easily turn this into a sweeter treat by upping the amount of honey. Or, for a more traditional (sweet) banana bread taste, add 4 to 8 tablespoons of stevia powder or granulated sugar.
Tastes great if you spread peanut butter, almond butter, jam or nutella on top.
Per square: 72 kcal; Total Fat 0.66g; Sat Fat 0.17g; Total Carbohydrate 15.49g; Dietary Fibre 1.5g; Sugars 6.17g; Protein 2.04g
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(8)
Reviews in English (8)
The second time I baked these I made them into little loafs and added some chocolate chips... delicious!-04 Jun 2010
I made this yesterday and it is very, very moist and it tastes fantastic! I added pleanty of walnuts to the recipe. Thanks for sharing.-23 Oct 2011
Very good recipe. In the right amount of batter. I made it as cupcakes (6) and they were really good. And very easy to follow instructions.-30 Mar 2015