- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
If you love empanadas, this is a great recipe to have on hand. Empanadas make great party nibbles when made bite-size!
29 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 24 empanadas
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 125ml water
- 2 tablespoons plain flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons melted butter for brushing
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:40min
- Whisk together the 250g flour, salt and sugar in a bowl until evenly blended; make a well in the centre of the mixture. Whisk the egg yolk and water together in a small bowl until smooth; pour into the well and mix to form a stiff dough. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Roll the pastry with a rolling pin until thin, sprinkling with flour to prevent from sticking. Brush with melted butter and roll it like a swiss roll. Cut with a sharp knife into 4cm slices. Roll each piece into a circle and fill with about 1 tablespoon filling. Fold over into half moons and seal.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(40)
Reviews in English (33)
I decreased the sugar to about a tbs. and ended up adding some more water to make the dough pliable. My empanadas turned out well. Make sure and roll your dough out well, so they aren't too thick. Thanks!-28 Apr 2010
by Linda Farrell
We blend 1T butter with 6T shortening with 2 knives, then follow these directions. Our filling was a mixture of shredded chicken breasts, onions, hard boiled eggs, green olives, cumin, chili powder, chicken bouillon powder, bay leaf, paprika. Topped with sour cream and salsa.-09 Jan 2011