- Dish type
- Tomato chutney
This tomato chutney recipe is easy to make and tastes great just on crackers. As this chutney disappears instantly with my family and friends, I always like to make a large amount (but there is still never enough to satisfy the demand...).
463 people made this
- 2.75kg ripe tomatoes
- 775g sugar
- 8 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated root ginger
- 4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Ready in:1hr40min
- Remove the stems from the tomatoes and chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Mix all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pan, and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature and let simmer for 90 minutes without a lid.
- Season to taste. Pour while still hot into sterilised jars and screw tightly closed. Turn the jars upside down and stand them on their lids. Allow them to cool completely.
How to sterilise jars
Learn how to sterilise jars two ways with our handy step-by-step guide and video.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (11)
This is one of a very few slow cooking chutney recipes I found which brings back the childhood memories!Like my grandmother used to do I added some red pepperonis to this recipe and now I got some "orders" from lots of friends and family members!-13 Aug 2011
Very disapointed, what a waste of nearly 3 kgs of tomatoes... and i stuck to the recipe very strict-28 Aug 2011
1st timer at making chutney and have to say very easy to do, tastes lovely (and that's before it's cold) didn't use cloves-15 Sep 2011