- Diet & lifestyle
- Vegetarian meals
This tasty strudel is a quick and easy way to trick your kids into eating spinach. Serve with a simple yoghurt and fresh herb sauce and a big, colourful salad for a fabulous vegetarian meal.
5 people made this
- 1 packet puff pastry
- For the filling
- 1 packet frozen spinach
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100ml cottage cheese
- 100ml soured cream
- 1 egg
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- Mix together spinach, shallots, garlic, cottage cheese, soured cream, 1 egg and Parmesan cheese; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a clean work surface, a little thinner at the edges. Place on a baking tray covered with baking parchment.
- Lay the filling down the middle length of the pastry sheet. Crack an egg into a cup but do not beat it. Brush the edges of the puff pastry with egg white and close the pastry around the filling. Close the ends of the roll and carefully turn it over so that the seam is on the bottom.
- Place on a greased baking tray. Beat what remains of the egg. Brush the strudel with it and cut a few slits in the pastry.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until the strudel is golden brown.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (1)
For me, it was too salty. Otherwise I will make it again but leave out the 1 tsp. of salt entirely, since the cottage cheese already contains salt, and I prefer things not too salty.For my husband, the level of salt was fine; he likes a lot of salt. However, he thought it wasn't crispy enough and should be baked a little longer than the 30 minutes to get crispier.One tip: Be sure to drain your spinach very well ( take the time press all excess water out.)It easy to prepare., but I did make 2 changes: I didn't do the 2nd egg brushed onto the dough. I used refrigerated pastry puff sheet that was already ready-to-use.-27 Jul 2017