- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
- Roasted vegetables
- Roast peppers
It's so easy to roast and preserve your own red peppers for use in antipasti spreads, salads and a variety of dishes. Don't stress about the exact weight of the peppers - more or less works fine.
21 people made this
- 1.2kg red peppers
- 6-7 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250ml olive oil
- 65ml red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
MethodPrep:40min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Remove pith and seeds from peppers. Cut into quarters and flatten (to cook evenly).
- Place the first batch of peppers on a baking tray under the grill (skin side up) and cook until the skin is blackened and starts to blister.
- Remove peppers and place into a plastic bag and twist to close (I just use fruit and veg plastic bags).
- Leave in the closed plastic bag for 5 minutes to steam (this makes the skin easier to remove).
- At this stage, I put another batch of peppers under the grill.
- Remove peppers from the bag - you may need to place it aside to allow it to cool sufficiently to handle, and then peel off blackened skin.
- Slice peppers in long strips. Place peppers into sterilised jars with garlic.
- Combine oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper in a container.
- Pour over peppers and seal. If it doesn't cover the peppers, just add more oil.
How to sterilise jars
Learn how to sterilise jars two ways with our handy step-by-step guide and video.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Reviews in English (1)
this is better than store bought. I sterilized 2 jars but they will be eaten well before the sterilization would be needed .-21 May 2010(Review from this site AU | NZ)