- Meat and poultry
- Popular chicken
- Chicken and rice
- Chicken risotto
A wonderfully hearty risotto that is creamier than most. Even my unadventurous and uber-carnivorous brother thinks it's delicious!
93 people made this
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g bacon, diced
- 500g chicken breast fillets
- 550g arborio rice
- 250g asparagus
- 1.2L chicken stock
- 200ml soured cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 150g grated cheese, such as Cheddar or Gruyere
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Heat oil in large heavy based saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, bacon to saucepan and cook until onion softens and bacon starts to brown. Dice chicken and add to saucepan - toss until white, but not golden, in colour.
- Add all rice to saucepan and stir through for several minutes (allowing rice to soak up some of the excess oil). Chop asparagus and add to saucepan.
- Add chicken stock 250ml at a time, allowing each addition to absorb into the rice before adding the next (this may take 30 minutes or so), and stirring constantly - you'll need to bring the risotto to a simmer or quiet boil.
- Rice should be softened at this point and majority of liquid absorbed. If this is not the case continue to add 100ml of stock, allowing it to absorb, until rice is softened and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir through soured cream, fresh basil and parsley. Stir through grated cheese, and continue to stir until cheese is melted through.
Mushroom and spinach variation
Mushroom variation - swap asparagus for 100g mushrooms and omit basil - cook as per above.Spinach variation - swap asparagus for bunch of baby spinach and add 1 tablespoon seeded mustard to onion/garlic/bacon at the start - cook as per above.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(11)
Reviews in English (12)
☺🍷🍴Can I freeze this gorgeous dish!🍴🍷☺-26 Aug 2014
The first time I made it was for a guest and it was AMAZING!!! It was the first time I made risotto and it turned out perfectly and only took exact 1 hour. Everybody enjoyed it and so did I. I am making it again today and hopefully it will turn out to be the same.LOVE ITTHE BEST-14 Jun 2011
What a find - an absolute winner. Certainly will be in my family favourites and I will pass it on.Thank you.-23 May 2013