- Dish type
- Vegetable cakes
- Beetroot cake
This is a delicious traybake that is irresistibly fudgy and moist thanks to the addition of grated beetroot! I get asked to make this all the time. Lovely flavour! If desired, you can ice the slices with your favourite chocolate icing.
36 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 28 squares
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 310g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 175g runny honey
- 220g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 125ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven 170 C / Gas 3. Grease and line a 20x30cm baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix all the ingredients together well, APART FROM THE EGG WHITES. Once thoroughly mixed, gently fold through egg whites.
- Tip into prepared tray and bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes when removed from the oven, then turn out onto wire tray and ice with your favourite chocolate icing when cool.
- Top with chopped walnuts and cut into 28 squares.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (7)
was a bit concerned when i initially baked this as it seemed quite wet when i cut it. when i looked closely though the crumb was completely cooked and it was the beetroot that made it fudgy. and it was delicious! Took it into work and it went down a storm. topped it with icing made with 140g icing sugar and 140g unsalted butter creamed together and 100g melted chocolate mixed in. covered it with a food depth of icing - not too much and not too little. i would highly recommend this cake.-12 Mar 2013
I was a bit apprehensive as I was a little short of hunny so just added a bit more fluid. Also I used beetroot pulp from my juicer as I wanted a way to use up rather than throw away.The result was yummy !!!Very pleased and makes loads to share !!Will definitely make again .-11 Jul 2016
Far too much liquid so reduced oil and milk. 150 ml oil, 150 ml milk.-13 Oct 2015