- Meat and poultry
- Roast chicken
- Lemon roast chicken
This is a simple roast chicken recipe that results in tender tasty meat with crispy skin. Surround the chicken in the tin with vegetables of your choosing - anything from cubed butternut squash and quartered onions to whole new potatoes.
2 people made this
- 1 large free range chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 handful chopped fresh basil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 lemon, quartered
- 1 lime, quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon gravy granules
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:2hr ›Ready in:2hr20min
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the butter, fresh chopped basil, rosemary sprig, garlic paste and lemon and lime quarters.
- Place the chicken in a roasting tin surrounded by veggies of choice (like onion quarters, pumpkin, potato and carrots). Make sure you coat the veg with oil and season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour then turn the chicken and bake for another half an hour.
- Sprinkle the chicken skin and veggies with salt and turn the oven up to 210 C / Gas 7. Roast each side of the chicken for a further 15 minutes each at a high temperature to make the skin crispy (if you have a fan forced oven, turn the fan on and roast each side at 200 C).
- Remove the chicken and veggies from the tin and place on serving plates. DO NOT THROW OUT THE JUICE IN THE TIN.
- Pour the juice from the tin into a gravy jug. Add one teaspoon of gravy granules to make the perfect gravy. If you don't like gravy granules, add pinches of salt, pepper and rosemary leaves and make the perfect natural gravy. Enjoy!
Use for leftovers
Use the leftover chicken bones to make a soup for tomorrow's dinner.
Watch our video to see how to make a perfectly roasted chicken every time. Watch now!