- Dish type
- Mini cakes
- Vegetable muffins
- Courgette muffins
Wholemeal muffins - honey-sweetened and packed with flavour - still manage to be low-fat and good for you. Semi skimmed milk, egg whites and just a little oil make these the healthy choice.
99 people made this
- 225g (8 oz) wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 175ml (6 fl oz) skimmed milk
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 oz grated courgette
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Grease muffin tin lightly with oil or line with paper muffin cups.
- Combine wholemeal flour, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon, mix thoroughly.
- Mix the milk, slightly beaten egg whites, oil, honey and grated courgette together. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just barely moistened. Batter should be thick and lumpy. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(98)
Reviews in English (89)
Used different ingredients.This is the exact same recipe as "Apple Muffins," also found on this site, except these have courgettes instead of apples. However, the recipe has the same problems. I would recommend using a whole egg instead of two egg whites, and substituting 100g caster sugar for the 4T honey. The increase in fat/calories is minimal, and worth it for the better taste.-14 Jul 2008
by REBECCA SCOTT
Used different ingredients.The first batch I made was rather bland, but good as a dinner bread. The next batch was better. I doubled the amount of honey and substituted apple sauce for the oil. Also good with walnuts!-14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients.I also changed a few things and my family loved them. I used almost twice the courgette, used a whole egg instead of egg whites and used vanilla soya milk instead of skimmed milk. I added chopped walnuts, which really helped the texture of the muffin. A sprinkle of porridge oats on top before baking made them pretttier to look at, too.-14 Jul 2008