- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Filo pastry
The classic Greek pastry, which is nutty and deliciously sweet. Enjoy with a Greek coffee.
15 people made this
- 375g filo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 125g butter, melted
- 200g mixed nuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 125ml water
- 115g honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:1hr
- When filo is thawed, cut the stack in half; cover with a damp tea-towel to keep from drying out. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Blend mixed nuts in a liquidiser, food processor or chop with knife; toss with cinnamon. Grease a tray with butter before layering two sheets, then brush with melted butter. Layer another two sheets on top, until you have 6-8 sheets buttered.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts over filo. Layer two more sheets (individually brushed with butter) then sprinkle over more nuts, continue with two sheets between the nuts until nuts are all gone. Use the remaining sheets two at a time, brushed with butter, to make 6-8 layers on top.
- Cut stack diagonally and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, with attention as it cooks quickly. You need to prepare syrup while the baklava is baking. Melt sugar, honey and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Pour syrup onto baklava when you remove it from the oven. Allow to cool a bit, then serve for dessert.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(2)
Reviews in English (2)
http://bmdinsulation.com/-08 Dec 2016
these recipes, helpful and useful, i will be using one of these recipes....-26 Feb 2015