- Dish type
- Pasta salad
- Couscous salad
This is a beautiful cold salad that's refreshing and delicious. Couscous is combined with lemon, cucumber, spring onions, parsley and basil, and served on a bed of cos lettuce.
147 people made this
- 300g (10 oz) uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bunch finely chopped spring onions
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- small handful chopped fresh basil
- 6 leaves cos lettuce
- lemon wedges to garnish
MethodPrep:10min ›Ready in:10min
- Bring 400ml water to the boil in the kettle. Place couscous in a bowl, and pour boiling water over. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir in cucumber, spring onion, parsley, basil and couscous. Mix well and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Line a plate with lettuce leaves. Spoon couscous mixture over leaves and garnish with lemon wedges.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(141)
Reviews in English (111)
Nice summer salad! Perfect for bbq-04 Sep 2011
I LOVE THIS RECIPE! It is light and refreshing. A few changes I made: I've made it both with couscous and with orzo. Since the orzo was a thicker, larger substance than the couscous, it worked better with the cucumber. I also used 2 whole cucumbers which was NOT too much. I made it recently as a main dish, and just added sliced chicken breast (grilled on the George Forman with lemon pepper seasoning - EASY!)... it was just right. Thanks for submitting this recipe, it's one of my favorites!-07 Aug 2007
Quite nice, couscous soaks up the flavour. Try adding some extra vinaigrette just before serving. You may want a lower grain-to-veggie ratio, and if so toss in some chopped tomatoes and sliced black olives. This goes great and can make a greek sort of salad.-28 Jun 2003