- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Shortcrust pastry
A really easy way of making buttery shortcrust pastry. The pastry is freezer friendly, simply wrap in cling film and freeze and thaw in the refrigerator when needed.
115 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 600 g pastry, approximately
- 190g plain flour
- 95g self-raising flour
- 90-125g butter
- 175-250ml very cold water
- 1 pinch salt
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- Rub butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs (you can use your food processor to pulse the mixture).
- Combine with half water, if making by hand, a knife is best for mixing.
- Gradually add remaining water until pastry is ofthe consistency of firm but elastic dough (not too soft). It depends on the flour how much water is needed, but this is the approximate amount.
- Divide pastry into two pieces. Lightly dust surface with flour and roll out one piece to 3mm or to desired thickness. Cut pastry to size as required to line pie dish or tins.
- Line greased dish or tins with pastry making sure the pastry hangs over sides a little.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry as before, and cut a cover for the pie(s) a little larger than the base.
- Add your filling of choice to about 3/4 full.
- Cover pie(s) with the prepared pie top(s). Crimp or fold edges of pie pastry together to seal. Lightly brush top(s) with water or milk.
- Pierce top a few times either with a fork or pointy knife to allow steam to escape during cooking.
- Place in middle of oven or a little higher. If pies are browning too quickly place on lower shelf. Cool before removing.
If it is a sweet pie you could sprinkle a little sugar on top, but when cooking watch that the sugar does not burn.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(18)
Reviews in English (15)
This is the best shortcrust pastry recipe I've tried - works every time, without pre-chilling or pre-baking!-13 Feb 2013
Came together easily, was super-quick to make and easy-peasy to roll out. Loved the quiche I used it for - thanks for a great recipe!Made jam tarts with the leftovers and they were good too!-24 Jan 2012
Super easy, and very tasty! thank you for the recipe.-05 Feb 2013