- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Fruit cake
Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without a fruit cake! This is a simple, dense, rich and fruity cake that's easy to make. It makes the perfect food gift.
155 people made this
- 1kg mixed dried fruit
- 250g mixed cherries
- 125g butter
- 165g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 125ml brandy or rum
- 125ml orange juice
- 2 tablespoons marmalade
- 125g plain four
- 125g self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:2hr ›Ready in:2hr20min
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / Gas 2 1/2.
- Line the base of a 20cm cake tin with 2 layers of newspaper. Then line the bottom and sides with baking parchment. The baking parchment should come up higher than the top of the tin.
- Put fruit, butter, spice, sugar, liquid and marmalade into a large pan and heat until boiling. Simmer for 3 minutes. Let cool.
- Stir eggs and flours into the cooled mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(5)
Reviews in English (6)
Excellentxxx Made 3 cakes over the weekend and all turned out lovely. Def recommend this-21 Oct 2012
Easy peasy! Thanks for this!-18 Dec 2014
it was very yummy and festive for me and my friend to eat will defently be eaten and made againn xxxxx-19 Dec 2011