- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of pork
- Pork chop
Great make ahead recipe that freezes well. Italian sausages are often available at the meat counter in supermarkets or from good butchers.
149 people made this
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g (4 oz) Italian sausage
- 1 onion, slivered
- 100g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons dry red wine
- 1/2 (600g) jar passata
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over pork chops. In a large frying pan, brown well in olive oil. Remove chops from pan and set aside. Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of pan juices.
- Remove casing from sausage and crumble or dice the meat into the same pan. Mix in onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring until onions and sausage brown slightly. Mix in garlic. Place pork chops in casserole dish, spooning sausage mixture over them. Pour in wine and passata. Sprinkle with seasoning.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(142)
Reviews in English (108)
by Zira Julio
Used different ingredients.This is the best recipe for pork chops I've found! The chops stay flavourful and tender. I served it with sides of buttered pasta and Italian-style vegetables, and we licked the platter clean. As a matter of personal preference, I used more garlic, and added one chopped pepper to the onion and mushroom mix and it came out very well. For anyone who does not wish to cook with wine, I substituted beef stock for the wine and it was still quite flavourful. Thanks for sharing it, Allana!-15 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients.This recipe is great! I've made this dish twice now and I've added roasted red peppers. Wonderful and delicious. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!-15 Sep 2008
Easy and great tasting. Makes a little too much sauce, and was sorry to have to drain most of it.-15 Sep 2008