Bon Appétit has teamed up with Field Roast, the makers of artisanal plant-based meats and cheeses, to explore the great tastes of the holiday season. Readers submitted their original Field Roast holiday recipe's for the chance to be featured in this December’s Bon Appétit magazine! Our winning recipe, submitted by Nadine Lockitch, is a must-have at the end of a winter day. This hearty one-pan recipe featuring Field Roast Plant-Based Italian Sausage, vegetables, and spices, packs bold flavor. It's guaranteed to become a weeknight mainstay.Find more recipe inspiration from Bon Appétit and Field Roast's Gather What's Good recipe series.
- 1 12.05-oz. package Field Roast Plant-Based Italian Sausage, sliced into ¼" rounds
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped multicolor bell peppers
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden, 5 minutes. Add bell peppers. Cook stirring occasionally until tender, 5 minutes. Add garlic, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant, 30 seconds. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over spaghetti with red pepper flakes.
Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipe
This super easy sausage and peppers recipe is sooo good: sautéed bell peppers and onions with hunks of juicy sausage. Extra flavor from Italian seasoning and garlic. Serve with steamed rice for a perfect meal!
Have you ever been so accustomed to making a specific thing that it just becomes second nature? And maybe you even think it’s nothing special, just a routine habit that you’ve done for years. That was me, so I thought, when I casually shared on my Instagram stories that I was making sausage and peppers one night.
Long story very short, I have never seen so many dm’s in my inbox, ha! People were asking me how I cooked it, where they could find my recipe…so on and so forth. I’ve been cooking sausage and peppers for so long and it never really occurred to me to make it a “blog worthy” recipe. It’s literally so easy and I didn’t think it would be so popular. However, what comes easily to some may not for others, right? So yeah, let’s begin!
There are so many sausage and peppers recipes floating around the web but this is my take on this Italian favorite. I love the ease + simplicity of it all. Additionally, I love the minimal prep work and how it all comes together in ONE PAN! Plus very few ingredients and no fuss makes it a great weeknight staple. Trust me, I make this recipe at least 2-3x a month in my house. It’s a recipe that everyone is happy to have in rotation.
How do you make Italian Sausage and Peppers in 4 easy steps?
- Slice Veggies– wash and slice veggies, lengthwise
- Brown Sausage– heat oil in a skillet and brown the sausage on medium-warm heat to get the casings crisp, but not burnt
- Cook Veggies and Slice Sausage– Remove sausage and set aside. Add butter to skillet and sauté veggies for a couple of minutes. Slice sausage while the veggies cook.
- Add Sausage to Veggies– add sliced sausage to the veggies and cook with the broth, spices, and diced tomatoes.
🔪 Step by Step Instructions
Here's how to make this delicious Cajun sausage and peppers recipe:
Prepare and assemble all ingredients. Slice peppers, removing pulp and seeds. Slice onions thinly, and slice sausage into 1/2" slices.
With 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, saute sausage until it is heated through and getting a nice brown color. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
Add remaining olive oil and saute peppers and onions until they reach your desired tenderness. Add cajun seasoning and stir. Adjust seasoning to your liking.
While you could certainly enjoy this meal on its own, here are a few sides that go with sausage and peppers:
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
Crock Pot Bread
24 Extremely Easy One Pan Dinner Recipes for Every Weeknight
After making a great list of our favorite one-pot recipes for dinner, we cannot skip the one-pan dishes. They are even easier to make. And they are just as delicious. Choose from a wide variety of different dishes for all tastes. These recipes pack so much flavor to boot! Check out our new list and enjoy!
Sumac Chicken with Cauliflower and Carrots
Check out a terrific sumac chicken with cauliflower and carrots. Follow this link for the ingredients and instructions.
Sheet Pan Korean Chicken and Vegetables
It’s an easy weeknight meal with crispy roasted seasoned vegetables and moist sweet and garlicky chicken. Follow this link for the cooking instructions.
Crispy Sheet Pan Gnocchi and Veggies
Check out a terrific recipe for crispy sheet pan gnocchi and veggies. Follow this article for the ingredients and instructions.
Salisbury Steak Easy with Potatoes
Make this one-pan Salisbury steak and potatoes for a quick dinner tonight. See this link for the recipe.
Sheet Pan Root Vegetable and Sage Pesto Salmon
This Sheet Pan Root Vegetable and Sage Pesto Salmon recipe is the perfect dinner any night of the week. See this link for the complete cooking instructions.
Roasted Chicken with Allspice and Citrus
This gorgeous sheet pan chicken meal is a fabulous way to celebrate fresh citrus. See this link for the complete instructions.
Sheet Pan Spatchcocked Cornish Hens with Summer Vegetables
This sheet pan spatchcocked Cornish hens with summer vegetables cook on one sheet pan and have Cornish hens, zucchini, baby potatoes, and cherry tomatoes. Follow this link for the complete method.
Pan Steak Fajitas
Put your broiler to work for sizzling steak fajitas that cook on one sheet pan in just 10 minutes. See the article for the complete cooking instructions.
One Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables
Check out a fantastic one-pan honey mustard chicken and vegetables. See the article for the recipe.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
What an excellent recipe for sheet pan chicken fajitas. See the link for the method.
Pan Chicken with Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
Check out a terrific recipe for pan chicken with a creamy sun-dried tomato pesto sauce. Follow this article for the cooking instructions.
One Pan Healthy Chicken and Veggies
A healthy chicken sheet pan dinner with tons of veggies, an easy seasoning mix, and cheese. Healthy, hearty, easy to make, and so delicious!
One Pan Autumn Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Check out a delicious one pan autumn chicken and wild rice casserole. Follow this link for the ingredients and instructions.
Garlicky Chicken Dinner Recipe
Bone-in chicken brings the flavor, which is enhanced by herbs, lemon, and hearty vegetables. See this article for the complete cooking method.
Stacked Eggplant Parmesan
Stacked Eggplant Parmesan is the perfect recipe to feed a crowd. Layers of breaded and fried eggplant topped with red sauce, three kinds of cheese and basil.
Skillet Eggs and Potato Garden Breakfast
A hearty, vegetarian breakfast made all in one pot. Natural, delicious, and healthy! Follow this link for the complete ingredients and instructions.
Easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes and Tarragon
This Easy Balsamic Chicken Skillet with Tomatoes and Tarragon cooks up in one pot, is full of flavor, and is ready in under 45 minutes.
Cajun Sausage and Shrimp Skillet
This Cajun Sausage and Shrimp Skillet meal is bursting with so much flavor! This easy meal comes together in 20 minutes using only one skillet.
One Skillet Chicken Parmesan with Orzo
This One Skillet Chicken Parmesan is a fast and satisfying one-pot meal filled with orzo pasta & spinach for a healthy twist on a traditional favorite.
Healthy Caprese Skillet Lasagna
This vegetarian Caprese skillet lasagna recipe is a delicious lighter take on lasagna. It’s straightforward and all cooked right in the skillet.
Healthy 20 Minute Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
Sausage, sweet potato, broccoli, and bell peppers seasoned with olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning and roasted to perfection. This quick 20-minute meal is a low-carb, healthy and packed full of flavor dinner option.
Sheet Pan Italian Chicken with Tomatoes and Vegetables
Flavor-packed chicken breasts with tomatoes and vegetables. Everything cooks on one pan for an easy, healthy dinner with no cleanup.
One Pan Garlic Herb Chicken and Asparagus
This 20-minute one-pan garlic herb chicken and asparagus recipe is full of rich, buttery herb flavors with both chicken and asparagus all cooked in one skillet.
Mustard Roasted Chicken with Squash and Brussels Sprouts
We give the large bone-in breasts a head start in the oven so they will be perfectly cooked by the time the vegetables are done. Follow the link for the complete recipe.
Sausage, Peppers, and Onions in Oven Nutrition + Substitutes:
Italian sausage and peppers in oven is a healthy and versatile meal, and it’s one of the reasons I love it so much. There are multiple ways to serve it:
- Serve over pasta. You can use white, whole wheat, or gluten-free pasta options depending on your needs and preferences.
- Serve on a bun. As I mentioned, I like serving sheet pan sausage and peppers on a garlic toasted bun with marinara on the side or drizzled over the top.
- Serve with a salad. Bake sausage, peppers, and onions in oven and then serve with a simple green salad or my 5-minute chickpea chopped salad.
One Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies (Meal Prep)
- Author: Emily Dingmann | My Everyday Table
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1 x
- Category: lunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
EASY Italian one pan sausage and veggies (aka roasted sheet pan sausage and veggies) is a healthy meal prep lunch recipe that tastes like pizza!
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 chicken sausages (12 oz.)
- 2 medium green zucchini
- 8 oz . sliced white mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp . olive oil
- 1 tsp . Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp . garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut peppers, onion, sausages into 2 inch pieces. Slice zucchini into half moons.
- Spread everything out on a large baking sheet, using two if you need to.
- Mix together oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle over vegetables and sausages. Toss to combine if necessary.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Divide into 4 lunch containers.
- Serve with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese.
Keywords: sheet pan, healthy meal prep lunch,
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to tag me when you make it, I love to see your creations! And if you’ve made it, will you please leave it a ⭐️ rating below? It helps me out a ton!❤️-->
Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
- 4 links Italian sausage uncooked
- 24 Dynamic Duo or any other varietal by The Little Potato Company halved
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 12 cloves garlic peeled, whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- minced parsley optional garnish
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Extra Spicy Sausage and Peppers. If you&rsquore looking for an even spicier version, add in some hotter peppers to your preference. I like to include serrano peppers sometimes for myself. Add in a spicy habanero pepper, or toss a ghost pepper into the mix for a seriously hot version. I know you want to, you crazy chilihead.
- Mild Sausage and Peppers. Traditional sausage and peppers is not meant to be spicy. If you&rsquore looking for a milder version, use sweet Italian sausages and use either bell peppers or other Italian sweet peppers. You&rsquoll still get great flavor with this recipe.
- The Sauce. The sauce ingredients break down to create a wonderfully flavorful tomato sauce, which perfectly compliments the other ingredients. You can save time by using your favorite store bought marinara sauce. Just simmer the sausages, peppers and onions in the sauce until cooked through.
- How Long Do Sausage and Peppers Last? This dish will last a week if kept covered in the refrigerator.
- Freeze Your Sausage and Peppers Leftovers. Yes, you can freeze any of your sausage and peppers leftovers. I like to chop up the sausages, then add everything to a freezer-safe container. These can freeze for 6 months easily.
Sheet Pan Sausage, Potatoes & Peppers: Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free
This easy sheet pan sausage breakfast recipe is a healthy meal prep recipe that’s only 5 ingredients! The breakfast sausage is paired with seasoned potatoes and peppers all on one pan, put into the oven and ready to go with very little hands-on time. It’s also great for a weeknight dinner for a simple vegetable and protein meal. This is a quick Whole30, paleo, gluten-free and egg-free breakfast recipe the whole family will enjoy!
- Author: Bailey
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1 x
- Category: Pork
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb mini peppers, stem and seeds removed and then thinly sliced
- 1 lb baby blonde potatoes (or red potatoes), diced
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (or your favorite ground sausage)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a large sheet pan, add the diced potatoes, sliced peppers, oil, parsley and spices. Toss well to evenly coat the vegetables with the oil and spices. Spread the vegetables out in one layer and so they’re not too crowded
- Pinch off pieces of the ground sausage in about 1 tablespoon dollops and place them on the sheet pan with the vegetables. You may need to rearrange the vegetables as you do this to make room for the sausage
- Place the sheet pan into the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are roasted and the sausage is cooked through. This may differ by a few minutes based on how large you diced the potatoes
- Add any additional salt, or parsley to garnish, and serve or place into meal prep containers
- If meal prepping, you can add two hardboiled eggs to the container to add eggs to your breakfasts easily during the week
Keywords: Whole30, egg-free, Whole30 Pork Recipes, Gluten-Free, Sheet Pan Breakfast, Meal Prep Breakfast Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
This Whole30 sausage, potatoes & peppers sheet pan breakfast post contains affiliate links, though all products are ones I use personally and recommend. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does give wholekitchensink.com a little financial support which helps to keep this blog running. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.
Free whole30 ebook
sign up for my newsletter and receive my 20 best Whole30 recipes!